Security is everybody’s business but not everyone sees it as such. It does not take a lot to make your home appear intimidating to burglars – in fact, it is very simple. Unfortunately, too many homeowners ignore these super simple security tips that could significantly reduce the likelihood their home is robbed in the future.
A burglar is out for one thing: to find a home that is easy to enter. If your home appears too difficult or the risk of being caught is too great, they will move on to the next house.
I thought it would be good to share it with the rest of the world because everybody can benefit from extra awareness and ideas.
Tips for Home Security
- Ensure all gates cannot be taken off railings and access gained to your home in this manner. (I personally know people who have had this done to them).
- Train children and domestic workers not to let any strangers into your home.
- Train children and domestic workers not to leave any doors to your property unlocked, especially doors to kitchen areas.
- Perpetrators dress in overalls and claim to be workmen from telephone, water or electricity companies.
- Ensure that you have copies of identity documents of any domestic workers who work in your home and contact numbers.
- Ensure that all doors are locked whilst your home is unattended.
- When going on holiday, cancel newspaper deliveries.
- Arrange with a neighbour or friend to collect post.
- Unplug electrical appliances and empty refrigerators of perishable products.
- Have night switch installed that will ensure lights are switched on and off at night.
- Install a home alarm system: While an alarm may not keep burglars from getting inside your home, it will deter some and bring the police to your home quickly, limiting what a thief is able to take. Home security systems will only work if you always remember to engage the alarm. You should have your alarm engaged while you are away or while you are at home as many thieves will attempt to break into one part of your home while you are busy in another. Also, some insurance companies may lower your home insurance premiums for having a home alarm system installed.
- Notify security company of your absence and ensure they have your current cell phone.